Do you heard about the famous mountain Huayna Picchu? After your experience at Inca Trail, and if you still have strength, you can climb the Huayna Picchu Mountain, where you will have the opportunity to take incredible photos and you will have amazing views of Machu Picchu. But please take note who can climb the Huayna Picchu Mountain?
Can children climb the Huayna Picchu?
Only people over 12 years old can climb to the top of Huayna Picchu. The entry of children is not allowed due to the difficulty of the journey. The total ascent is just over 350 meters and has a very steep angle over the Inca City. The Huayna Picchu mountain is located at 2,720 m.a.s.l while Machu Picchu is at 2,430 m.a.s.l
And the teenagers?
Teens can enter but accompanied by their parents or an older person. Remember that the ascent is through very steep paths, with paths in which you will need all four legs. Adolescents have to be watched closely by their parents. At the edge of the roads, there are ravines several meters deep.
Can adults without a good physical condition climb the Waynapicchu?
Huayna Picchu has become in recent years one of the most desired experiences for people who visit the Historic and Natural Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. It is not necessary to be an expert mountaineer or to be in optimal physical conditions. The most important thing is the desire to reach the top. However, it is always advisable to do some exercise and adapt to the height of Cusco before the walk.
And the elderly?
Many older adults walk the mountain without problems. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor before the adventure. If you want to climb with sticks, remember that these must have the rubber tip. This to avoid any damage to the trails that will travel.
Who is the Huayna Picchu ticket for?
The ascent to Huayna Picchu is aimed at people who like outdoor sports and adventure. The route is considered one of the most incredible short walks in the world. Visitors who like nature can also choose this mountain. The walk to the summit offers some of the most spectacular views of the Inca City of Machu Picchu and its surroundings.
Tourists who are interested in the history of the Incas can also visit the Waynapicchu. At the top you will find agricultural terraces and the remains of the famous Temple of the Moon.
What to bring?
- Huayna Picchu is located in the Amazon jungle. It has temperatures between 8 ºC. and 20 ºC. This causes the presence of small mosquitoes so it will be necessary to use a good repellent.
- The strong sun of Machu Picchu will force you to bring with you sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses with a U.V filter.
- Avoid carrying many things with you. All the things you carry should fit in a small backpack or handbag. The entry of large backpacks is not allowed.
- In case of making the view during the rainy season (November – March) you should also carry a rain poncho, warm clothes and hiking shoes.
- Do not forget your camera, with enough space in the memory and extra battery.